Follow us on
Chronological List of Works 1981-1997
- Study on Two Planes for cello and piano
- Wedding Introit for organ
- Beatus Vir for chorus and organ
- The Road to Ardtalla for chamber sextet
- Three Dawn Rituals for chamber ensemble
ISMN M 060 09569 6 Study Score
- Piano SonataISMN M 060 09179 7 Piano Score
- St Annes's Mass for congregation and organ (or piano).
ISMN M 060 10632 3 Choral Score
- Festival Fanfares for brass band
- Two Visions of Hoy for solo oboe and ensemble
- Litanies of Iron and Stone for clarinet, soprano saxophone, trombone and tape.
- After the Tryst for violin and piano
ISMN M 060 09509 2 Violin part and piano score
- Busqueda for speaker, actors, sopranos and ensemble
"Music of shattering directness, clearly defined emotion and angry idealism."
"Much of this music was violent and shocking; much of i t had a wounded exhausted serenity that was profoundly moving."
- Into the Ferment for ensemble and orchestra
- Variation on Johnny Faa' for soprano, flute, cello and harp
- Tryst for orchestra
- The Cumnock Orcadian for ensemble
- Cantos Sagrados for chorus and organ
ISMN M 060 09872 7 Vocal Score
- The Excorcism of Rio Sumpul for mixed ensemble or chamber orchestra
- The Berserking Piano Concerto
- …as others see us… for mixed ensemble
- The Confession of Isobel Gowdie for orchestra
"There is real pain, benediction and anger in this music, but MacMillan's command of even the most complex musical material is as impressive as his emotional conviction."
"The Confession of Isobel Gowdie left one with a strong desire to hear it again, to savour its many brilliant and beautiful moments, plus the certainty that more would be revealed."
ISMN M 0600 9074 5 Full Score
- Sowetan Spring for wind band
- Catherine's Lullabies for chorus, brass and percussion
- Scots Song for soprano and quintet or piano
- Tuireadh for clarinet and string quartet( or string orchestra)
- Divo Aloysio Sacrum for choir and organ (optional)
ISMN M 060 09510 8 Choral Score
- A Cecilian Variation for J.F.K. for piano
- intercession for three oboes
- Tourist Variations Chamber Opera
- Sinfonietta for orchestra
- So Deep for chorus with viola or cello obligato.
ISMN M 060 09287 9 Choral Score (with viola and oboe)
- Barncleupedie (with apologies to Erik Satie) for piano
- Veni, Veni, Emmanuel Percussion Concerto
ISMN M 060 09271 8 Study Score
- Visitatio Sepulchri for seven singers and chamber orchestra
"This work is quintessential MacMillan. It progresses relentlessly from spaciously looming towers of string tone to outbursts of terror…the strength of feeling is irresistible; bursting with love, pain and tenderness…."
"….the impression is of a teeming internal drama, so rich and vital that it is hardly able to contain itself…However fascinating, gripping, challenging, contemporary music may be, it isn't often that it makes direct human contact like this."
- Epiclesis Trumpet Concerto
- Angel for piano solo
- …here in hiding… for four male voices or unaccompanied choir.
- They saw the stone had been rolled away fanfare for brass and percussion
- Memoire imperiale A variation on the March of the Old Highland Regiment
- Seven Last Words from the Cross cantata for choir and strings
- Kiss on Wood for violin and piano
ISMN M060 10183 0 Violin part and piano score
- Ballad for voice and piano
- Brittania for orchestra
- Memento for string quartet
- Christus Vincit for unaccompanied choir
ISMN M 060 09761 4 Choral Score
- White Note Paraphrase for organ
- Adam's Rib for brass quintet
- Miari for 16-part unaccompanied choir
- The Children for mezzo or baritone and piano
- A Different World for violin and piano
- Inés de Castro Opera in two acts
"Inés de Castro has atmosphere, passion and a thrilling relentless intensity"
ISMN M 060 10483 1 Libretto
- Seinte Mari moder mildefor choir and organ.
ISMN M 060 10371 1 Choral Score
- The World's Ransoming Cor Anglais Concerto
- Cello Concerto
- A Childs Prayer for two treble soloists and unaccompanied choir.
ISMN M 060 10636 1 Choral Score
- The Galloway Mass for unison voices, choir (or cantor) and organ.
ISMN M 060 10634 7 Choral Score
- The Halie Speerit's Dancers for childrens choir and piano
- On the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin
for choir and organ
- Ninian clarinet concerto
- I (A Meditation on Iona) for strings and percussion.
- Fourteen Little Pictures for piano trio.
"Not all James MacMillan's musical canvasses have been on a large scale. Fourteen Little Pictures is a series of richly diverse miniatures for piano trio, each a tiny world in itself, yet adding up to a larger statement lasting about twenty minutes."
- The Gallant Weaver for unaccompanied choir.
ISMN M 060 10666 8 Choral Score
- Lumen Christi for piano.
- Symphony ' Vigil ' for orchestra.
- The Prophecy for childrens choir or high voice and instruments.
The Prophecy is a setting of a 9th century Irish myth for choir and ensemble and highlights the composer's interests in ancient myth and mysticism.
- Raising Sparks Four songs for mezzo and ensemble.
A setting of poems by Michael Symmons Roberts.
- Why is this night different? for string quartet.
If you have any comments, additions or questions I would be really pleased to hear from you!
Copyright © David Charlton, 1995, 1996, 1998.
This is an "unofficial" web page for James MacMillan
The music of James MacMillan is published by Boosey and Hawkes
Source attribution: Boosey & Hawkes