Follow us on
The English Hymn – Volume 4
All things bright and beautiful
- William Henry Monk: All things bright and beautiful
- William Horsley: There is a green hill far away
- Ralph Vaughan Williams: English Hymnal #9 "He who would valiant be"
- Charles Crozat Converse: What a Friend We Have in Jesus
- Melchoir Teschner: All glory, laud and honor
- William J. Kirkpatrick: Away in a manger
- Arthur Sullivan: Onward! Christian Soldiers
- Frederick A. Challinor: Stories of Jesus
- Kenneth G. Finlay: Glenfinlas
- Justin Heinrich Knecht: Vienna
- John Stainer: In memoriam
- Leighton George Hayne: Buckland
- Thomas Jackson: Jackson
- Martin Shaw: Westridge
- Charles Hubert Parry: Judith "Repton"
- Quem pastores laudavere
- Little Jesus sweetly sleep
- Morning has broken
- When a knight
- Lord of the Dance
- From out of a wood
- Geistreiches Gesangbuch - Gott sei Dank in aller Welt
Rupert Gough, organ
The Choir of Wells Cathedral/Malcolm Archer
Hyperion CDP12104 66M DDD
This is the fourth release in Hyperion's laudable "English Hymn" series and this time, the concentration is on the world of children.
The twenty-odd hymns are all stalwarts of the repertoire and when you listen to these stirring performances by the Choir of Wells Cathedral, the music really takes on a nostalgic turn.
This is a disc that gives delight to anyone who can smile as the "Songs of Praise" style will most definitely bring goose bumps to the flesh.
I haven't got much more to say except that all self-confessed choral enthusiasts should rush to the shops and purchase this without delay. I would assume that the other three volumes would also be in their collections!
Copyright © 2003, Gerald Fenech