Follow us on
The Seven Symphonies
- Symphony #1 in E minor, Op. 39 (1899)
- Symphony #2 in D Major, Op. 43 (1901)
- Symphony #3 in C Major, Op. 52 (1907)
- Symphony #4 in A minor, Op. 63 (1911)
- Symphony #5 in E Flat Major, Op. 82 (1915)
- Symphony #6 in D minor, Op. 104 (1923)
- Symphony #7 in C Major, Op. 105 (1924)
Utah Symphony Orchestra/Maurice Abravanel
Vanguard Classics SVC3133 3CDs
Abravanel portrays a rather temperate Sibelius, the rough-hewn landscapes of the Finnish master are bevelled by the Utah Symphony's perfectionist ensemble and restricted range. Fastish tempos bleed the atmosphere at times.
This is a fine starter set, but won't banish memories of great Sibelians such as Barbirolli, Karajan, Ashkenazy, et al.
Copyright © 1997, Robert J. Sullivan