Follow us on
The Golden Age of Light Music
Light Music from the Silver Screen
- Traditional: Early One Morning featured in "Spring In Park Lane" - Robert Farnon and his Orchestra
- Ortelli/Pigarelli: Song of the Mountains (La Montanara) from "The Glass Mountain" - Sidney Torch and his Orchestra
- Arthur Schwartz: Dancing in the Dark from "The Band Wagon" - MGM Studio Orchestra/Adolph Deutsch
- Bronislau Kaper: Adoration from "Lili" - MGM Studio Orchestra/Hans Sommer
- Victor Young: Call of the Faraway Hills from "Shane" - Ron Goodwin and his Concert Orchestra
- Francis Chagrin: The Beggar's Theme from "Last Holiday" - Charles Williams and his Concert Orchestra
- Clifton Parker: Seascape from "Western Approaches" - London Symphony Orchestra/Muir Mathieson
- John Addison: Theme from the "The Man Between" - Cyril Stapleton and his Orchestra
- Mischa Spoliansky: Dedication from "Idol Of Paris" - Queen's Hall Light Orchestra/Sidney Torch
- José Padilla: La Violetera from "City Lights" - Philip Green and his Orchestra
- Allan Gray: Theme from the "This Man Is Mine" - Queen's Hall Light Orchestra/Charles Williams
- Guy Warrack: Men of Arnhem – March from "Theirs Is The Glory" - London Symphony Orchestra/Muir Mathieson
- Philip Green:
- Romance from "The Magic Bow" - Louis Levy and his "Music From The Movies"
- Hour of Meditation from "Twenty - Four Hours Of A Woman's Life" - Sidney Torch and his Orchestra
- Gaelic Fantasia from "Saints And Sinners" - Philip Green and his Orchestra
- Andre Mathieu: Quebec Concerto from "Whispering City" - Charles Williams and his Concert Orchestra
- Maurice Jaubert: Valse Grise from "Le Carnet De Bal" - Sidney Torch and his Orchestra
- Charles Williams: Throughout the Years from "Flesh And Blood" - Charles Williams and his Concert Orchestra
- George Melachrino:
- Vision d'Amour from "Woman To Woman" - Melachrino Strings/George Melachrino
- Danse d'Extase from "No Orchids For Miss Blandish" - The Melachrino Orchestra/George Melachrino
- Anthony Collins: Saga of Odette from "Odette" - Charles Williams and his Concert Orchestra
- Kenneth Leslie-Smith: Mansell Concerto from "The Woman's Angle" - Charles Williams and his Concert Orchestra
Guild Light Music GLCD5109 79m ADD
The ninth release in Guild's invaluable series of Light Music collections focuses on the famous movies that graced the screen in the immediate pre and post war years. Again this is a deeply nostalgic album that brings together some of those memorable themes that will definitely bring a wistful tear to the eye of those who lived through those tumultuous years.
The themes are played by a collection of excellent orchestras such as the MGM Studio Orchestra under the baton of Robert Farnon, the legendary Queen's Hall Light Orchestra, the Melachrino Strings and the concert orchestras of Charles Williams, Sidney Torch and Philip Green. Although some of the films may not be so familiar today, one cannot overlook such classics as 'Shane', 'Odette' and 'City Lights' which are all represented here in various forms and guises.
David Ades provides all the necessary biographical information that the seasoned collector needs to know and the transfers are, as usual with this series, of a crystal clear nature. There is nothing much to add to the plaudits of this collection although those who are collecting the series will definitely snap this up immediately. I just can't wait for the next issue.
Copyright © 2004, Gerald Fenech